Discover the Canadian plane door incident that affected 13 flights

The Canadian the passenger, who tried open the door Oh yeah Thai Airways plane On February 7, he claimed that he had to escape from the plane because a criminal group from Vietnam was after him. The stranger was clean of drugs and no mention of mental health problems.

A 40-year-old Canadian, Wong Sai Heung, was arrested on February 7 at Chiang Mai International Airport when he tried to exit Thai Airways flight TG121 Chiang Mai-Bangkok during take-off. ThaiRath reported that its actions affected 13 flights and 2,296 passengers.

According to MGR Online, Wong is a computer engineer. He entered Thailand on February 3, visited Chiang Mai province and then took a Thai Airways flight to Suvarnabhumi Airport en route to Canada.

It was initially reported that the man’s actions were motivated by a panic attack. The policemen took him to Phuping Vajanivej Police Station in Chiang Mai to investigate the real motive behind his act.

During interrogation, Wong informed the police and the media that a dark organization was chasing him in Vietnam, trying to harm him. He believed that the gang had his sights set on him and that they could successfully shoot him while the plane was on the runway at a speed of 80 kilometers per hour. The gang may have planned to destroy the plane, so he had to get off for his own safety.

Medical reports confirmed that there were no drugs or alcohol in Wong’s system. However, details of his congenital diseases or history of mental health problems have not been disclosed.

Two indictments were officially brought against the Canadian, including:

  • Section 7 of the Act on Certain Offenses Against Air Navigation: Violation or failure to comply with orders to maintain order and order at the airport. The penalty will be imprisonment of up to one year, a fine of up to 40,000 baht or both.
  • Section 232(2) Penal Code: acting in any way to cause an aircraft to cause danger to others. The penalty is imprisonment of six months to seven years and a fine of 10,000 to 140,000 baht.

Chiang Mai Provincial Court denied bail and Wong is currently in custody. Thai Airways is investigating the damage to the plane and the airline, with plans to file additional complaints against Wong.

UPDATE: Thai Airways is responding to the incident at the Chiang Mai airport gate

Thai Airways has addressed the recent incident at Chiang Mai Airport where an attempt by a Canadian passenger to open a plane door while waiting to take off caused several flights to circle without being able to land. The disruption occurred yesterday (February 7), leading to temporary chaos as flights were unable to land at the airport.

Chiang Mai Airport experienced significant disruption when a 40-year-old passenger, Wong Sai Heung, reportedly in a state of panic, tried to open the door of a plane that was about to take off. This action stopped the departure of flight TG121, which was scheduled to leave Chiang Mai at 21:05, and detained the aircraft for some time on runway 36 in Chiang Mai.

The following day, February 8, Thai Airways Public Company Limited explained the delay of flight TG121 from Chiang Mai to Bangkok. The flight was carried out with an Airbus A320 aircraft, which was in the stage of alignment on the runway when the incident occurred.

After the technical staff undertook thorough checks and safety compliance measures, the aircraft was cleared for take-off at 00:34 on 8 February. All passengers, pilots and crew were confirmed safe after the incident was resolved, KhaoSod reported.

In related news, Thai Airways has responded to passenger criticism over the diversion of a flight from Bangkok to Melbourne diverted to Sydney due to weather conditions. On February 1, the airline announced legal action against the passenger’s social media posting, reaffirming its commitment to safety standards.

The aim of the move was to protect the reputation of the airline and its staff from unwarranted attacks. Public support for Thai Airways’ decision reflected sentiments of respect and prevention of baseless accusations.

The airline emphasized its commitment to global aviation safety standards, stressing the importance of maintaining public trust. The legal proceedings underscored Thai Airways’ commitment to preserving its image while prioritizing safety and security measures.

ORIGINAL STORY: Fear of flying: Panicked passenger causes turbulence at Chiang Mai airport

AND Canadian traveler he allegedly experienced a panic attack as the plane took off from Chiang Mai International Airport tried last night open the plane door, which caused chaos and delays at the airport. The situation was brought under control around 11 p.m.

Facebook account Watcharapon Pethsurp announced about the incident at around 21:57 yesterday, February 7. The post included a picture of 40-year-old Canadian citizen Wong Sai Heung standing on the plane.

“The plane was supposed to take off, but this passenger had a panic attack and tried to open the door. When will I arrive in Bangkok?”

The problem occurred on Thai Airways flight TG121 Chiang Mai-Bangkok. The flight was originally scheduled to depart from Chiang Mai International Airport at 21:05 and arrived at Suvarnabhumi International Airport about one hour later.

MGR reported that Wong left his seat, approached one of the flight attendants and pushed her toward the plane’s door. He demanded that the flight attendant open the plane’s door, forcing the pilot to make an emergency stop on the runway.

The plane eventually returned to its parking lot and officers arrived to arrest the panicked foreigner for further legal action. Other passengers, mostly foreigners, were escorted to a hotel near the airport, where they waited for their rescheduled flight to Bangkok.

Thai Airways later officially announced that the plane had been thoroughly inspected to ensure the safety of the passengers. The flight successfully departed Suvarnabhumi Airport at 12.34am today, February 8. The airline has confirmed that all passengers and cabin crew are safe.


The problem also affected the schedule of other flights departing and landing at Chiang Mai Airport. MGR Online reported that Korean Air’s Incheon-Chiang Mai flight KE677 had to land at Suvarnabhumi Airport instead, and Busan-Chiang Mai flight 7C4257 had to land at Wattay International Airport in Laos.

The situation was eventually brought under control, which allowed the plane to land again around 11 p.m.

Chiang Mai Airport, Thai Airways and the police have yet to reveal the penalty for the panicked Wong. According to the Act on certain offenses against air navigation, a foreigner can face three criminal charges, namely:

  • Section 7: Violation or disobedience of orders to maintain order and order at the airport. The penalty will be imprisonment of up to one year, a fine of up to 40,000 baht or both.
  • Section 13: Intimidation of cabin crew by threats or actions of any kind. The penalty will be imprisonment of up to seven years, a fine of up to 280,000 baht or both.
  • Section 17: taking control of an aircraft by using force or threatening to damage the aircraft. The punishment will be the death penalty, life imprisonment or imprisonment for 10 to 20 years.

In addition to the legal consequences, the foreigner may have to pay compensation to Thai Airways for the loss.

Aviation News Crime News Thailand News

Leave a Comment